Legislations are always being introduced into England which means sometimes you aren’t always aware that a new legislation is in place. In June 2020 a new legislation was introduced to England which now means landlords are required to have the electrical installations in their rental properties checked every five years by an electrician. This is something that has been campaigned for a number of years and is now welcomed as it is a step in improving the 4.5 million households in the Private Rented Sector.
We all know the electrical installations deteriorate over years when they have a lot of use. A periodic inspection will allow the electrician to identify any problems that needs to be fixed to make the electrics safe. This will include:
- checking electrical circuits or equipment to ensure they are not overloaded
- identifying any potential shock risks and fire hazards
- looking for any defective electrical work
The electrician will issue an Electrical Installations Condition Report (EICR) which will include all the details of the inspection carried out and their advice for actions that need to be taken to make sure the property is safe.
So, if you are a landlord this means:
- electrical installations must be inspected before the start of a tenancy from the 1st of July 2020
- all checks need to be carried out on existing tenancies by 1st of April 2021
- after the first checks have been completed, they must then be carried out every five years
- any work that needs to be done with in the property to make sure it is safe must be done within 28 days of the first initial inspection
- a copy of the Electrical Installations Condition Report will be provided to both knew and retained tenants
As a landlord it is your responsibility to make sure the electrician that carries out the inspection and repair work does this correctly. To ensure the safety of your tenants a registered electrician would be most suitable.
For tenants, by law your landlord must ensure that the electrical installations in your home are safe for the full period of your tenancy. If you are a new tenant or are looking to move into a new property these checks should be carried out before you move in. For any existing tenancies they must have completed the checks by the 1st of April 2021 and must provide you with a copy of the Electrical Installations Conditions Report confirming that your property is safe for you to live in.
Here at Harvey Electrical Services we are proud to offer full EICR and carry out any repairs that need sorting. Plus we can also be your trusted electrical partner for your property portfolio, please call us on 01325 249 294 or visit harveyelectricalservices.com